Tiffany Ard - Amazing Art for Serious Science Nerds

Friday, September 19, 2008


This post took me a long time to write. I'm literally nervous writing it. Can you sense the nerves from there? That is because I want to celebrate this artist's work in any way I can, and the only celebratory tool I have right now is this blog and these words. Come celebrate the genius of Tiffany Ard with me, won' t you?


Every once in a while, you get that racing feeling in your guts over artwork. This is that kinda artwork for me. You see, ever since I was a child I have loved science, usually, all things biology and astronomy. I hid my love for science because it got me picked on in school, so, I pretended that I was too cool and too sexy to love Earth Science and all things planets. Then years and years later I net my husband, a fellow nerdling, and we fell in love with each other based mostly on our brains... the rest was secondary. Science was once again, sexy. We shared a love for astronomy, computers, and even archaeology, which was my focus in college. We had a couple kids. 'Named one Sagan to honor one amazing astronomer we both loved. We want to share the world and the universe with our son, but we realize now that with the name, comes some serious expectations. And THAT'S the kind of feelings Tiffany Ard's work invokes in me..... feelings of belonging, of sharing with my children. She gets what is cool, and funny and beautiful about the scientific world. Tiffany's art simply said, makes it graceful and glorious... to be a nerd.

I am the proud owner of what is now one of my most prized posessions ever obtained from the bloggy world... a set of my very own ABC Nerd Flash Cards. I am so jazzed. I can't wait to frame them all and make a mural of them on Sagan's wall. Sophia is 5 and she loves science too, so I will frame some of Tiffany's beautiful art work for her room s well. Just look at these:



So you guys are in luck. Tiffany has been generous enough to submit one of her 8X10 prints above for a giveaway. You can own one of these gorgeous prints hand signed by Tiffany. Just go to www.tiffanyard.com and do ONE of the following: Tell me your favorite letter of the Nerd Flash Card Set and why. (Mine is H for Hydrogen Bonding but you can not pick that one!) OR go to the "Well Technically..." section and tell me the three animals she has featured on that page. All valid entries will be entered to win the print; drawing held on October 7th. Please make sure there is a valid email where I can find you! Good luck!

37 Comments:

ignoramoose said...

J is for Jovian Moons. Holy cow, I adore the nerd ABCs flash cards. I'm blown away at her talent. LOVE!!

ignoramoose (at) gmail (dot) com

.lou said...

Woot! She's a genius! I love these prints, especially the oliphaunt, and my favorite card is "M is for Mandelbrot Fractal Set."

leftymylou at gmail dot com

windycindy said...

I adore her prints! The three animals featured on the "Well, Technically" page are the turtle, sea lion and crocodile. Please enter me in your delightful giveaway drawing. Many thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Wehaf said...

I am torn between "M is for Mandelbrot Fractal Set" and "T is for Transverse Wave".

urchiken at gmail dot com

gkstratos said...

M is for Mandelbrot Fractal Set
gkstratos@yahoo.com

NateAndJakesMom said...

I so totally have to hide this site from my husband the Uber Science Nerd (High School Science teacher). If he runs across it, I will definitely have no chance at the athletes I really want (I am a former PE teacher).
Favorite is L for Lunar Eclipse. Mostly because I wasn't sure what the other ones were...

Jenny said...

I like "B is for Binary" because my husband is a computer geek and would love it. It reminds me of him :-)

the_other_alice_(at)yahoo.com

graham's mom said...

I just ran across your site because Tiffany Ard popped out at me! I started off as a fan of her blog, and quickly fell equally as hard for her artwork. I pick N is for Neuron as a future neurologist!

grahamandcheeseonrye at gmail dot com

Beth said...

3 animals: tortoise, sea lion, crocodile

basketmommy @ gmail. com

Katie said...

Tortoise, sea lion and crocodile. Thanks!
katiekarr at gmail dot com

Nadia said...

My favorite is "N for Neuron". Well, because I'm egocentric and my first name starts with a "N". =D hehe
treflea4[at]gmail[dot]com

Sandy said...

v for virus, kids like the a for atom, hubs likes the l for lunar-hmmm well they are beautiful

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

I really love these, they are so cute and clever. Science is very importnat in this house so these would be perfect here. My favorite is N is for Neuron.

Terra Jones said...

z is for zoological oddity...lol, LOVE it :)

terraljones at gmail dot com

Xenia S said...

These are so clever, I like them all! The three animals on the "Well Technically..." section are the tortoise, sea lion, and crocodile.

Thanks!
xpsundell(at)gmail(dot)com

lindsey.hefner at gmail.com said...

I like the Newton's Law of Motion elephant print. Very geeky.

Ginny said...

I love these, I love that technically not a turtle print.

My favorite alphabet card would be A is for Atom though, too cool!

Thanks for pointing me in this artists direction, I love the stuff!

faith said...

How cool! I love the U is for Uvula but they're all so much fun. Thanks for the contest.

anarchafemina said...

I like "a is for atom".

fertawert AT yahoo DOT com

Alice H said...

A is for Atom - I like the picture. Thanks for the chance! afdr3d@umkc.edu

Jeanne said...

Gotta go with "A is for Atom".

AmandaSue said...

I like "L is for Lunar Eclipes" I think the picture is pretty and I actually know what that means unlike alot of the other flash cards haha!

Genevieve P said...

My favorite is Cis for cell membrane. How cool! My physicist husband would love it!

jessleigh said...

I love "W is for Water Cycle" because when I was a little girl, I always drew the water cycle!

czeltic girl said...

Those are great! I'm torn between the A is for Atom and J is for Jovian Moons. (And that Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram print of hers you have posted cracks me up. That's wonderful!)

aine_42(at)yahoo(dot)com

ihchicky said...

I love the U is for Uvula card. I think it would be great it they had different science themed ones. That would be a lot of fun. Thanks for the chance! :)

Hayley said...

I love "T is for Transverse Wave" heehee!

oreo89 [at] gmail [dot] com

The Saunders Family said...

I love the a is for atom, but the turtle print is great too.
mom2maria at hotmail dot com

leelee said...

Ooooh my god, i just looove these.........from the flash cards, my favorite is I for Ichthyosaur, simply because it reminds me of my 4 yo DS who is insane about marine life and dinosaurs......this print would just prompt us to teach him Latin. woot woo!.......I just absolutely adore the laws and formulas series and the "Oooooh cells!". I heart biology. Madly.

Staci said...

These are beautiful! And I love the flash cards. My favorite has to be Z for zoological oddity, since my 4 year old wants to be a zoologist someday. Thanks for the giveaway!
princess3sah(at)cs(dot)com

Brooke said...

Definitely Z is For Zoological Oddity! What a fun concept to explain to ANY kid.

Aubrey said...

I like I is for Icthyosaur - my son loves dinosaurs!
byubabe14 at yahoo dot com

Rockin' Mama said...

I like "R" is for Rhombus! : )

jasonncaryn at yahoo dot com

Heather said...

crocodile
sea lion
tortoise

cute stuff!

Katie said...

I missed out on this one...but wow...what a talent! They are just beautiful!

danozano said...

I find the 3 animals to be a crocodile, a sea lion, and a tortoise. Couldn't locate the full set of alphabet cards but they look cute from the preview image!

danozano, a t, gmail, d o t, com