We Interupt this blog to bring you: Asthma

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yesterday I got quite a shock at the doctors office. Apparently I have Asthma. I have never had a lung problem in my life, but, I have have terrible nasal allergies for about 20 years. I'm allergic to mold, mildew, cats. Dust. You know, invisible stuff in the air and all that. The doctor said that as we get older, our lungs have a harder and harder time healing after all those allergy attacks, and this can happen. Recently, I have noticed that along with my runny nose when cleaning, dusting, taking care of my neighbors cats ( eh hem!) I was also getting a cough. Then about a month ago, I got a terrible head cold that went to my chest and never got better. Then a couple weeks ago, I started wheezing. Then the last few days, I couldn't really, ya know, breathe. So once breathing got hard and the cough was knocking me off my feet, I finally broke down and drove down to my primary care office. A few tests later, turns out, I was having a pretty bad Asthma attack. Well, as we all know, Asthma is a chronic disease that affects your airways, which are the tubes that carry air in and out of your lungs. In order for my lungs to work properly, I need drugs to open those passages back up. This is a quandry because I am technically sensitive to the very drugs that are needed to get me back up and breathing. Bronchio dilators,a nd things like Sudeo-nephrines actually raise my heart rate and Blood Pressure. I'm one of those people who can't take most over the counter allergy meds. So now I am basically pumping my body full of steroids and all sorts of fun things That get my heart jiggy wit it. But the benefits outweigh the side effects... being able to breathe.

Listen, if you are coughing for a long period of time, and you can't shake it, go to the darn doctor. don't wait as long as I did to figure out what's up with your lungs. You can do permanent damage to your lungs if you don't take care of the wheezing, and its not good for your oxygenation levels... and low oxygen levels are bad for your organs. If you are hacking and coughing, and your family and friends just poo poo it as a lingering cough and tell you if will eventually go away? Don't listen. Get yourself to the doctor. I am glad I did.

1 Comment:

Ginny said...

That is the kind of asthma my oldest has, she barely ever wheezes, just coughs. I knew she had asthma, but it took years (and years) before the stupid doctor finally diagnosed it.

I'm so glad your doctor knew for you!